American Legion Deer Park Post 319

Houston Bar to Offer Legal Assistance to Those Impacted by Hurricane Harvey

(Houston – August 30, 2017) The Houston Bar Association (HBA) is responding to the questions and legal needs of those affected by Hurricane Harvey in a number of ways. For updated information on legal aid and other services, visit, or call 713-228-0732 or 713-759-1133.

"It is imperative that we join together to help those in need in our community," said Alistair B. Dawson, president of the Houston Bar Association. "The HBA and  the Houston Volunteer Lawyers will join the legal community in assisting with disaster relief efforts for the public, as well as our members. Houstonians displaced by this horrific storm need our help and they need it now. We need volunteers to step up and help those in need."

Starting on Friday, September 1, HVL will work with Lone Star Legal Aid to staff booths at some of the shelters housing those who have been displaced as a result of the storm.  There will be booths at the George R. Brown Convention Center initially, and then at the Toyota Center and NRG Stadium. Booths will be expanded to additional shelters next week. Lawyers at these locations will address legal questions for those who are housed at the shelter temporarily.

From Tuesday, September 5 to Friday, September 29, the HBA's LegalLine will have volunteer attorneys answering calls from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Extended LegalLine hours will be available from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, September 6 and Wednesday, September 20. The public can call 713-759-1133 and speak to volunteer attorneys who will answer their questions, provide brief legal advice and refer them to appropriate resources for help. The attorneys will be able to answer questions on insurance, landlord/issues, contracts, lost documents, FEMA matters and other disaster-related topics.

​The HBA's Houston Volunteer Lawyers (HVL) is working with other local and state legal services providers to coordinate legal aid for low-income individuals affected by the storm. HVL will set up legal advice clinics to meet the needs of the community in various locations across the city and also will visit area shelters to provide information about how to access legal services and to answer questions.

For more information on our resources for people affected by this storm, contact the Houston Bar Association office at 713-759-1133 or visit


Best regards,

Carly Wood
Communications Assistant & Web Manager
Houston Bar Association
1111 Bagby St., FLB 200
Houston, Texas 77002
Phone: (713) 759-1133
Fax: (713) 759-1710
www.hba.orgType your paragraph here.


***VA has activated the Pharmacy Disaster Relief Plan in response to Hurricane Harvey.  Eligible veterans with a VA ID Card needing an emergency supply of medications will be able to go to any CVS or HEB pharmacy with a written prescription or active VA prescription bottle to receive a 14-day supply.   Veterans needing assistance can also call the Heritage Health Solutions Veterans Help line at 1-866 265-0124 to speak to a representative.

At the direction of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) will implement cost-saving measures for residents who have been impacted by Hurricane Harvey. The changes will affect driver license (DL) duplicates and Driver Responsibility Program (DRP) surcharges for residents who live in one of the counties that have received a gubernatorial disaster declaration.
DPS will provide a no-cost replacement DL or ID card for residents in the impacted counties, provided they had previously been issued a Texas DL or ID card. Customers living in the affected counties are encouraged to bring whatever identity and residency documentation they have in their possession. (Replacement identification would normally cost $11.)
Eligible cardholders will need to visit a driver license office in person to obtain a free Texas DL or ID replacement.  To find a driver license office near you, please visit Since DPS driver license offices have been impacted by flooding as well, please check the website prior to coming to an office to ensure it is open.
In addition, residents in these same counties with outstanding DRP surcharges will not be required to make payments for 60 days, effective immediately. No action is required by the customer; DPS will implement the change internally. For additional information about the DRP program, please visit


Houston Military Affairs Committee
P.O. Box 300526
Houston, Texas 77379-0526


 Beginning on Tuesday, September 5th, American Legion Post 521 in Pasadena will begin serving as a community distribution center to give relief to the families in need that were affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Hours will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  American Legion Posts in the state of Texas, as well as American Legion Posts from other states who wanted to support the devastation imposed upon our citizens, were responsible for ALL the donations.

Trucks of goods to support the citizens in our community and our surrounding communities are scheduled to arrive at American Legion Post 521 sometime on Monday, September 4th.  Unfortunately, we cannot give you a specific time.  We will need volunteers to set up tables, help unload the items from the truck and/or trucks, and organize the items.

We will also need volunteers beginning on Tuesday, September 5th.

If you wish to volunteer, please email or call me as soon as possible.  I will then notify you when the goods arrive.  Once they arrive, we can set up a volunteer schedule.


Thank you for all that you do!

Diana King

 (832) 651-1576

Temporary Financial Assistance

Since its establishment in 1925, The American Legion Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) program has awarded cash grants to minor children of veterans who are eligible for American Legion membership. These grants help families in need meet the cost of shelter, food, utilities and health expenses, thereby keeping the child or children in a more stable environment. 

Who is eligible for a grant?

TFA is limited to minor children (17 years or younger) whose parent, or legal guardian, is a veteran and is, or would have been, eligible for American Legion membership. However, Legion membership is not required. Children 18-20 years old will also be considered if a current disability requires special schooling or indefinite in-home care, or they are enrolled in an approved high school and unmarried. To be eligible for Legion membership, the parent or guardian must have served at least one day of active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States during one of the following periods:

Dec. 7, 1941-Dec. 31, 1946
June 25, 1950-Jan. 31, 1955
Feb. 28, 1961-May 7, 1975
August 24, 1982-July 31, 1984
Dec. 20, 1989-Jan. 31, 1990
Aug. 2, 1990-Cessation of hostilities as determined by the U.S. Government.

No child is considered eligible for Temporary Financial Assistance until a complete investigation is conducted at the post or department level; a legitimate family need is determined; and all other available assistance resources have been utilized or exhausted. Additionally, the TFA application must originate and be filled out by someone at the local level.

For more information or to apply
Contact your local American Legion post or department (state) headquarters.

Make a donation

You can donate to the Temporary Financial Assistance program by sending a check or money order, made out to The American Legion Endowment Fund, P.O. Box 1055, Indianapolis, IN, 46206 or click here to donate online through the Endowment Fund.

[Temporary Financial Assistance]

Temporary Financial Assistance is a program of:
The American Legion
National Commission on Children & Youth
P.O. Box 1055
Indianapolis, IN 46206Type your paragraph here.Type your paragraph here.

The American Legion’s National Emergency Fund (NEF) provides immediate financial assistance to Legion Family members and posts affected by natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires and flooding. The fund provides up to $3,000 for qualified Legion Family members and up to $10,000 for posts.

The NEF covers expenses such as temporary housing, food, water, clothing and other daily household items.

In order to qualify for an NEF grant, an applicant must:

Have been displaced from his or her primary residence due to a declared natural disaster.

Provide copies of receipts of items required to meet immediate needs, such as temporary housing, food, water, clothing, diapers, etc.

Be an active member of the Legion at the time of the disaster.

To apply for assistance click here or call the Texas American Legion headquarters at (512) 472-4138. American Legion departments wishing to offer assistance, please email Texas Commander John Hince at

And to donate to the NEF, click here.  ​(Please visit for working links) 

Nearly $9 million has been provided to Legion Family members and posts through the NEF since its inception. All contributions made to the NEF are used to meet urgent needs of Legion Family members.

Also, NEF media brochures are available for download under Internal Affairs on the Legion’s publication web page,, to help department and post leaders on best practices to follow before, during and after an emergency. The brochures describe how to set up an NEF response team, locate affected Legion Family members, assist victims in filling out NEF applications and generate good public relations. NEF applications are also included.

“During times of crisis, families come together. Right now, priority one is saving lives,” said American Legion National Commander Denise Rohan. “To all the people of Texas, The American Legion offers its support and prayers to the victims and the first responders in harm’s way."

TFA program

While the NEF provides immediate assistance to Legion Family members, qualified children of Legion-eligible veterans may receive assistance through the Legion’s Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) program – the fundraising project of Rohan's during her tenure as national commander.

TFA grants can provide a lifeline to veteran families in need during times like these as they help meet the costs of shelter, food, utilities and health expenses. During disasters where a family has lost a home or it’s been severely damaged, TFA could be used to help cover mortgage costs while that family pays for temporary housing.

TFA is limited to minor children (17 years or younger) whose biological parent, or legal guardian, is a veteran and is, or would have been, eligible for American Legion membership. However, Legion membership is not required to receive a TFA grant.

Those wishing to apply for a TFA grant must contact their local Legion post. To find a post in your area, click here.ype your paragraph here.   ​(Please visit to use links).

​Deer Park Post 319 - David Saucilllo_(281-468-9360)_commander@dpal319.orgType your paragraph here.